Monday, June 22, 2009

Over by Over Bowling analysis of T20 Cricket World Cup

In this post I will analyze the over-by-over performance of the bowlers in terms of runs conceded and wickets taken, in the just concluded T20 world-cup.
In the figure below blue traces are for First inning, and red colors for the second inning. Just before the end of the first power play average runs increase followed by a relatively calm period from 6-15 overs. In last 5 over average run rates tend to increase (expectedly). There is a very interesting difference between the first inning and second inning in terms of average runs. In first inning there are significantly more runs scored in 16-17th overs. This indicates that on average the team batting first should win. When I checked this, I found that in first 18 matches, 9 teams won while batting first. But very surprisingly, in last 9 matches of the tournament, seven times the team batting first won.

The probability of fall of a wicket steadily increased as the matche progressed. Again in second inning there was a significantly greater chance of fall of a wicket in 3rd and 9th over.

Previously I found that in Indian Premier League average runs per over were very strongly correlated with the probability of a wicket in that over and in subsequent over.

2 comments:

1. Interesting post! It does seem somewhat random that the 3rd and 9th over have such a big difference in wickets fallen between the 1st and 2nd innings. What do the error bars represent?

ReplyDelete
  2. Aneesh
    Thanks for your comments. The errorbars are the Stand. Error.

ReplyDelete